Wednesday, August 2, 2017

Wings N Tings





There is a really great restaurant in  the heart of Williamsburg, Brooklyn called “Pearl’s Bake and Shark”  an authentic Caribbean restaurant who specializes in Bake and Shark, Jerk and other Caribbean dishes. With a full cocktail bar, music and vibes to make you feel like you’re in the islands. This is a place that I frequent.  They have a lunch, dinner, brunch (a bottomless brunch Saturdays and Sundays 12pm-4pm) and catering menu, a happy hour on Mondays through Fridays from 4pm to 7pm, and is a favorite stomping ground of celebrities like Nicki Minaj, Patra, The Hot 97 morning show crew and other notables. It’s an urban oasis with old world charm. Strange and interesting in a pleasing way. They’re insider art mural, old classic speakers and picnic table garden, was a great escape from everyday New York troubles and challenges. On the menu you can find small plates, bakes, mains, sides, cocktails, beers, wines and non-alcoholic beverages. My usual order consist of the  braised brown stewed oxtail with coconut rice and steamed cabbage, the curry goat with potato and channa along with the coconut rice as well. I’ve eaten virtually everything presented on the menu, including their amazing drinks. Pearl’s rum punch and watermelon juice are a couple of my favorites. This particular time I went was different because it’s the first time I tried their “tamarind wings”. I am familiar with tamarind balls, which is a Caribbean candy, it kind of looks like a ball of brown sugar. Normally I am not a fan of tamarind, but I was raised to always try something at least once before rejecting it. Steamy, succulent, juicy, thick sprinkled with scallions and culantro (shado beni), it would forever change my perspective on wings slathered with tamarind. The first bite I was taken away by the blast of the sweet and tangy flavor. Although pretty much every dish is on point on this menu those wings just really stood out, because it wasn’t what I expected. These wings made my day. I highly recommend everyone check Pearl’s Bake and Shark located at 178 North 8th Street in Brooklyn, NY. You will not be disappointed. Run don’t walk.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Full of Hot Air?

Up and away Last year, summer of 2016, I experienced, for the first time, a ride on a hot air balloon at the “Balloon and Craft Fes...